Saturday 5 September 2015

Not the usual review

690872The Illuminator, by Brenda Rickman Vantrease.  So well written.  Well researched.  Love this period.  There is so much going on with the Catholic Church.  Yet it seems an age of innocence as well.  People believed what the church told them, that they would die and spend an eternity in hell if you didn't follow their teachings.  You weren't allowed to think for yourself, or question anything.  It was the law.  Very scary times.  I'm glad we live where we do and can have our freedom of expression.


154651The Mercy Seller, by Brenda Rickman Vantrease.  I loved this story.  It is the sequel to the Illuminator, but I happened to read this one first.  It is a stand alone book.  Such in depth characters, and so well researched.  What a scary age, being tortured and killed for being different.  We have come a long way.  I wish there was a sequel to this book.  Fell in love with the characters and Brenda's writing.  You can happily lose all track of time in this book.


I too was brought up a good little Catholic girl.  Attending Immaculate Conception School and their church.  Taught by nuns.  My mom was actually going to be a nun, like her sister and her Aunt.  But I think my mom liked to laugh and talk and socialize too much.  It must have been hard living in the convent with all there rules and restrictions, after living in a noisy busy home.  With her 9 sisters and 5 brothers, I imagine it was quite chaotic.  But there was always someone to talk to and help you with your chores.  Lots of love in that house.  That seems to be a very important thing in families.  Having a mother and father that love you.  Encourage you.  That's what I try my hardest to be.  Loving, caring and supportive.  So my kids and grandkids, can be the best they possible can.  Then I know I have succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment